Sign up for FoodFit's FREE newsletters
Get healthy recipes, nutrition information and fitness tips!
Apple Salad Recipes and the Antipasto Salad Recipe
Meals are not complete without a good salad. Antipasto salad, apple and fennel salad, and apple cider salad are 3 delicious salads that are easy and quick to prepare.
Here are the 3 recipes for you to try at home:
1. Antipasto Salad
- 16 oz. pkg fresh/frozen cheese tortellini
- 4 ounces chopped salami
- 4 ounces provolone cheese, cut into - 2 x 1/4" strips
- 11 oz. can corn - drained
- 9 oz. package frozen spinach, thawed - squeezed to drain
- 6 oz. jar marinated artichoke hearts - drained/chopped
- 6 ounce can pitted ripe olives - drained/sliced
- 1 1/2 cups prepared creamy Italian salad dressing
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 ounce jar diced pimiento, drained - if desired
- Cook tortellini to desired doneness as directed on package; drain, rinse with cold water.
- In very large bowl, combine tortellini, salami, provolone cheese, corn, spinach, artichoke hearts and 1 cup of the olives.
- In small bowl, combine salad dressing, mustard and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese; blend well.
- Pour dressing over salad; toss gently.
- Top with remaining olives and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover; refrigerate 1 - 2 hours to blend flavors.
Just before serving, garnish with pimiento
2. Apple and Fennel Salad
- 5 ounces Fresh Spinach
- 1 each Small Fennel Head - sliced
- 2 each Medium Granny Smith Apples
- 1 each Small Red Onion - sliced
- The Granny Smith apples should be peeled and cubed.
- Thoroughly wash spinach, removing fibrous stems.
- Dry and place in salad bowl.
- Add fennel, apples and onions.
- Toss with Celery Seed Dressing.
- Trim with fennel tops.
3. Apple Cider Salad
- 2 packages gelatin powder - unflavored
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups apples - diced
- 1/4 cup black walnuts - chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley cooking oil lettuce leaves for decoration
- Put 1/2 cup cold water into a small bowl.
- Sprinkle two envelopes (2 tablespoons) of unflavored gelatin on water.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes to soften.
- Heat 2 cups apple cider until very hot; add salt. Remove from heat and immediately add softened gelatin.
- Stir until gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Have a 1 quart mold lightly greased with cooking oil.
- Do not use olive oil. Spoon about 1/2 cup of gelatin mixture into mold and place in refrigerator.
- Chill remaining mixture until slightly thicker than consistency of unbeaten egg white.
- Just before large bowl of gelatin is desired consistency, dice apples and chop walnuts and parsley.
- Add this to the gelatin and place into the mold which already has thin bottom layer of gelatin.
- Chill until set.
- Unmold onto serving plate which has been decorated with lettuce leaves; curly endive is a good choice.